Monday, October 15, 2012

The Tradition of the Lotoja

If you don't know what the Lotoja bike race is, then you are missing out. This is a race that goes from Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY. Hence...Lotoja. Get it? So this race is 206 miles and is done in one day. It was started because a couple of guys living in small town Logan decided that there wasn't a good stage race anywhere on the west coast and that there needed to be one. I know this because I happen to know 2 of the guys who started it. So anyway, it started out as a couple of guys riding from Logan to Jackson because they think it's fun. (I'm still trying to see the logic.) It has now grown to the biggest one day stage race in the western United States, possibly all of the United States. The race caps at 1500 now, I believe. And it fills up in less than 24 hours from the time registration opens. Needless to say, this race has become very popular. And it has been something my Dad has participated in from the wee beginnings. This year, he participated in his 24th Lotoja. 24 years of riding 206 miles in one day! And he's over 60. What a Dad he is.

 I have been going with my Mom to drive support since I was in high school. Needless to say, this has become very popular in my life as well. Since I'm not about to go hop on my bike and ride 206 miles in one day, supporting my Dad in it is the next best thing. There are 4 feed zones throughout the race - these are the only spots that the support can hand off stuff to their riders. We fill a bag with things that will give my Dad nutrition and energy and pass it off to him as he rides through the feed zone. It's exciting. But really, you think I'm kidding. I'm not! Ever since my first year, I was addicted. Last year when I couldn't go because of work, I cried. Yes, cried. I have fallen in love with the atmosphere. The hard work and dedication that all these people put in and the effort and struggle they go through to complete this amazing thing. I can't get over it! Cheering for my Dad as we drive past him on the course is one of my favorite parts. Then staying in Jackson for a day doesn't hurt the cause either!

Here's the man himself at the start line.

The beauty of being up at sunrise...

The gorgeous fall colors of Jackson Hole. Pictures just don't do it justice.

 Hey, Afton!

 One of the famous feed zones! In this case, my dad stopped and we switched
out his drinks and food instead of just passing off bags as he rode by.


This was someone else's car, but I think I'm going to 
put this on our car next year. My mom would support it.

What a champ!!


   

This was a fire we passed that they were trying to contain in Jackson.

 This was the fire that was not contained 
the next day as we ate lunch.

Cute little motel signs...

The Tetons in all their glory.


At the finish line! You rock, Dad!!

My adorable Mom and Dad.

 Our lovely hotel room.


 There were bears hiding all over the hotel. So cute.


 My mom and I. I just love her so much.

New chacos all around! For my mom and Joe, anyway.

 The famous Jackson Hole antler arch!

Aw. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment